Although shingles and other roofing materials may look the same year after year, the reality is that innovations in the industry are always happening. New methods, materials and design are the hallmarks of a modern roof. If you are in the market for roof repair or full replacement, Plymouth Roofing wants to share with you the top roofing trends for 2017.
1. Gutter Glam: Gutters are a necessary roofing accessory. This year, expect to see those gutters get a glamorous makeover. More color options with flexible materials mean gutters blend in better, becoming less of an eyesore. Options to accessorize this roofing accessory take it further. Expect gutters to enhance certain lifestyle choices. If you love all things eco-friendly, you may want to opt for rain-harvest devices. Using collected water in the garden or to wash the car goes a long way to conserve a precious natural resource and save a few dollars on utility bills.
2. Asphalt Appeal: Asphalt shingles are the single most popular roofing material. Affordability and easy installation keep their appeal consistent, year after year. 2017 is no exception.
3. Timeless Tile: Concrete roofing tiles are expected to give asphalt shingles stiff competition as the first place holder for roofing material of choice. The primary reason is the longer lifespan of tiles. Although many prefer the higher quality appearance of roofing tiles, that beauty comes with a higher price tag as compared to asphalt shingles. The real selling point is that, in the long run, you get more bang for your buck with roofing tiles. Asphalt shingles have an average lifespan of 7-15 years, depending on local climate conditions. Upgrade to concrete tiles and enjoy a roof that can last decades longer, perhaps even half a century.
4. Slate: If beauty is the most important criteria when designing a roof, then it is no wonder that slate is expected to be one of the hottest trending roof elements for 2017. And that beauty is nothing to sneeze at. Slate is one of the most durable roofing materials available. Is it expensive? Yes. But when you consider that there are historical structures all around the country, built at the turn of the century and with their original slate roofs intact, it’s easy to see that slate is well worth every penny.
5. Where The Grass Is Greener: If you are interested in green living, it doesn’t get any greener than a living roof of green grass. A living grass roof is not just for hobbit homes. More and more homes are featuring eco-friendly roofs designed to grow vegetation. Widely popular in Europe, the trend is just now taking off on our side of the pond. Some municipalities even have green initiatives that offer incentives for green roofing options. Another plus to a living, green roof is that it is a great insulator that helps reduce energy use.
6. Solar: Although solar panels are not a home’s actual roof, they are installed atop a roof. Integrating solar panels into roof design is expected to expand further in 2017. With improved technology and easier installation methods, solar roof panels are becoming more common in homes all across the country. Solar industry experts report than 2016 marked the year of one million solar panel installations. 2017 shows no signs of this trend slowing down.
7. Decorative Features: Architecture embellishments have always been widely popular in luxury homes. If you like to be a trendsetter, you may want to consider these popular aesthetic features to lead the pack in your neighborhood.
- Cupolas with copper elements are striking
- Widow’s walk of ornate ironwork that beautifies a safety feature
8. Specialty Accessories: Not every roof weathers the same climate. Specialty accessories that are locale specific, meeting climate conditions that are extreme, are more innovative than ever. For example, if your roof is exposed to the harsh, ice-producing climate of Michigan, you may want to invest in these options:
- De-Icing Cables: These electronic devices are sold at your local hardware store. However, trust installation to a professional roofer. It takes experience to navigate a roof safely. The cables also need to be laid out in the right pattern to work properly. Since it’s an electrical device, it is also wise to leave this roofing accessory project in the hands of an experienced craftsman who has done this before! After all, you don’t want to damage your shingles during installation or risk destroying the roof with an electrical fire.
- Blow-In Insulation: Although you may think a roof is all about what you see on the outside, there are important elements to a roof that you can’t see. Attic insulation is one such element. One of the best methods to prevent the formation of ice dams is superior insulation. Heat loss through the attic is the most common cause of ice dams. Upgrade your attic insulation to make your home more energy efficient. Not only will you say “good-bye” to ice dams, you will also say “hello” to savings on utility bills.
Your local professional roofing contractor is the best source of information on the latest trends for a better performing, longer-lasting, modernized roof. For Michigan families in the Plymouth area, their roofing projects have long been trusted to the experts at Allpoint Construction. Have a question or need an estimate? Please contact us. You can trust the expertise of a company committed to serving our local community for decades. Fully licensed, insured and certified, there is no roofing project our teams of craftsmen are not qualified to tackle. Family owned and operated, why not trust your roof to us and become part of the family?